Friday, June 3, 2016

Thankful, the Rogue's notes.

"There is nothing...nothing, more sad than a surfer who used to
surf." -Unknown (I don't intend to be that guy). Tearing into the
shoulder, Holiday's and 66th. 5/31/2016


    Our third hike to the beach; my last sesh of this trip. Water noticeably warmer. Lost the gloves. Always nice to strip rubber. Around 60F, maybe a tad over. Light northern current. Offshore winds at about 5 knots made for an initially clean frontside break. About waist plus. Little crowded too. More than a half dozen in a 3 block stretch. For this break, at this time of evening, that's crowded. Singled out a few rides. Then, as the tide rolled in the winds changed, the rips changed. Swell became a hair convoluted. I'd even say after another thirty minutes or so, tortuous. I couldn't catch Jack $hit. Patience out the door. Like the week's run. When it comes to the Atlantic, she does what she wants. We have no say. I know that. Should've been more thankful. In fact, later that evening after a chance to chill, reflect, and dinner with my girl and surf buddy, I was.
Mind changing break, Holiday's 5/31/2016.
   Couple of Maryland Summer brew-ha's to close the week. Baltimore's Union Craft Brewing puts out a serious Gose that does the season proud. Old Pro... like the guy who regular pars the miniature golf course. Brewed with a pinch of salt and the lacto to add the tarty sour. Poured a somewhat hazy, straw-gold with a fizzy finger and a half head. Aromas of lemon and light salt. Puckering lemon taste with enough salt to give it a bit of a savory feel with no hop bitterness (10 IBUs). As with most of this style, low ABV's at 4.2%. Crisp. Nice. So down 'em! Rated a B+.


Tall Tales Brewing in Parsonsburg, MD is not what I'd call impressive. Their beers are fair to middling overall, with a decent imperial here and there. Some Beach Blonde. No standout, although the more of this I drank, the better it seemed to get. I did stretch it. Like a craft Miller. Had a clear yellow pour with about a finger fluff of head. Light pine and citrus aroma. Taste was like a little more bitter than Miller...did I say craft Miller? Enough hops, 14.8 IBUs, to add snap to the finish. And the 4.8% ABV makes it a decent beach brew. I'd get more if I could drink 'em on a beach. Legally. Rated a C+.
"Some beach. Somewhere. There's
a big umbrella casting shade over an
empty chair."       - Blake Shelton






No comments:

Post a Comment