Monday, July 9, 2018

Across The Front, session notes from the Rogue.

Draggin' across the line tryin' to snag the shoulder; Beryl's tidbits. Rodeways, 7/5/2018.


















I feel fine
I'm talkin' 'bout peace of mind
I'm gonna take my time
I'm gettin' the good sign
Draggin' the line (draggin' the line)
-Tommy James

  Sloppy surf returned this past week. One or two backsides. Most of 'em were across the front. What you get when surfin' the PM. Winds build throughout the day and while dyin' in the evening, at ten knots still puts the swell on a chopping block. Tropical depression Beryl provided the conditions. the 2nd storm of this summer's hurricane season...which started June 1st, by the way. This year has been predicted to be quiet, and Beryl exemplified that. She was pretty much fadin' off the coast. Went after the occasional shoulder, otherwise sectioning close-outs. Not complainin', just facts. Still getting wet, though not enough (not a complaint, more of a self-slam). Water is gettin' quite warm now...'bout mid-70s. Need water time. Some dawn patrol surf. So I say.
  These brews I've been reviewing have been part of my summer showcase. Notice I said part...more coming, and I've had a few repeats as well. No reruns here though. Salisbury's Evolution Craft Brewing kegged Hops Limon IPA in the spring of '17 for the summer sluggers. Had my first not too long ago. Poured an amber haze with a khaki two-finger head. Nice, sticky lacing. Aromas of lemon and toffee. Read a review a while back that described a lemony beer as smellin' like Pledge. I try to avoid that thought. However upon first sip, this one was surprisingly refreshing. Little more candy sweetness than I like, but a nice citrus burst...more lime in the taste...with a bready, malt layer underneath. 6.8% ABV with a li'l quenching tartness makes this a decent summer choice. 65 IBUs gives it a bitter-clean IPA finish. Rated a B/B-.
Say it three times as fast as you can...Schofferhofer. Brewer of the Grapefruit Hefeweizen of summer...from Germany. Poured a very cloudy creamsicle orange with a thin fizzy white head. Lots of grapefruit juice aromas. Actually, kinda smelled like grapefruit juice. Tasted like it too. Bit on the sweet side. Akin to juice mixed with beer, which would put it more in the Radler/Shandy style. Good for the summer. Memorable for this summer. Like I said though...sweet. My wife loved it, which is why we bought the 16 oz. four pack. Also makes a good beer-cocktail mixer...with rum. Good stuff! 2.5% ABV (another reason to add rum). Low, low IBUs...like single digits. Another B/B- rating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment