Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Cure What Ales Ya, the Rogue's notes.

Can almost hear them waves crashin' on the other side. Assawoman Bay, 4/2/2020.


















   Pretty mild winter. And we've had some nights in the 50s and days in the 70s. Mix together with salt and we got us a cure for what ails ya. Ocean temps are now touchin' on 50. I'm tellin' ya'll, I'll be in the water soon. I feel it. Nothin' can wash a pandemic away faster than salt. I remember when I worked a sales job where I traveled a lot. Early 2000s before all the bars and such had eliminated smoking. I couldn't wait to get back just to cleanse myself of the smoke. Anyone who's lived with a smoker knows how hard it is to get rid of that. Salt water will do it. Soon as I got home, would grab my stick and head to the beach. Didn't matter about the surf report. And now? I still won't care about conditions (short of water temp). I'm gettin' in the mindset.
  Next, to cure what ales ya. Couple 'o brews that'll accommodate...beginning with Flying Dog. Not much outta this brewery that I don't like. Thunderpeel Hazy IPA. 6.2% ABV and unfiltered for your drinking pleasure. New England style. Poured a very hazy burnt orange into a frosted mug. Nice, foamy, 1-finger, white head, and most excellent lacing. Plenty of aromatic herbal/floral hops in the smell. Grapefruit was undeniable. In the taste were tons of orange, mango, and more grapefruit. Just the right amount of malt to balance. Fantasmic juicy hop finish, though the 35 IBUs did not indicate. Had this last month at a locals favorite: Harborside's rib night. Came highly recommended by our bartender. And I won't need more ribs (which were excellent by the way) to have another. Rated an A/A-.
"When I drink alcohol everyone calls me
an alcoholic. But, when I drink Fanta,
no one says I'm fantastic." -Anony Mous
Tampa Bay's Cigar City Brewing is another that hasn't disappointed. Jai Alai was a prime example. Cubano-style Expresso Brown Ale was a perfecto mundo follow up. Chock full of Cuban coffee beans, this bad-ass poured a mahogany brown with a thick, finger-plus dark tan head. Aromas had smells of strong, freshly brewed Cuban coffee. Cocoa and hints of molasses were also present. But going down, the espresso really came out. Additional tastes of caramel, more chocolate, malt, and vanilla...maybe from lactose. At 5.5% ABV, and very creamy, could easily down another. Finished more like a light stout, but sweeter. Just enough hops - 25 IBUs - to balance the sweet with a 'lil dry. Nice brew. A/A- rating...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment