Monday, June 22, 2020

Be Humble, the Rogue's session notes.

"Life is ten percent what happens to me, and ninety percent of how I react to it."  -John C. Maxwell
Peak already folded- at high tide, paddling into the shoulder, forcing the wave, usually meant missing the ride.
Holidays and 66th, 6/18/2020.

   Looking forward to getting out again. Hadn't been paddleboarding, or on the boat all week. Missed being on the water. Surf report was calling waist high, with semi-clean conditions. Not what I faced. Waist, maybe. Less than that for most of the session. Onshore to southeast winds, high tide...all made for swell that peaked and lost power. If I wasn't on 'em as they folded, forget it. Disappointing outing to say the least. But, I beat myself up afterwards. For the resulting bad attitude. Being aloof in the water. Not appreciating all that I had and what went with it...including these opportunities in the Atlantic. In college when rushing my fraternity, I remember a Brother always telling me, "know when to go humble."
When the surf is rough and I'm taking it on the head, frustrated trying to get to the lineup much less get a ride, be humble. When the surf is mushy, choppy, or otherwise lacking, be humble. Appreciate this life that I have. Attitude of gratitude.                               
   Gratitude...for the a cold one. Rogue Ales, of Oregon prominence brews a refreshing Honey Kolsch. Raising their own bees and cultivating the honey on their farms, this Kolsch was a perfect transition beer from the chill of the off-season to the warmth of the late spring. Pour had a light haze that became clear honey-gold with a fast dissolving, finger-plus, foamy, white head. Mild aromas, some grains and sweet fruit. Maybe a hint of honey. The taste was dryer than I expected. Malts, some wheat and grain, biscuity. Lightly sweet in the finish, but the 26 IBUs of floral hops dominated. It's a Kolsch. They have never stood out. Regardless...at 5.2%, a refreshing beer to grill with. Rated a B-.
   Another Michigan choice, this one from Saginaw Bay's Mt. Pleasant, MI. Mountain Town Brewing's Train Wreck...which is what this session felt like with the poor position and lack of rides. An Imperial Amber at 8.2% ABV that poured a bright reddish-amber. Finger-thick, white head. Thin lacing. Maple sweetness, pecans, and herbal hops in the nose. Some aromas of booze that translated into the taste as well. Strong enough to overcome the sweet maple tones. The bitterness of the hops tended to dry out the finish. It did have enough malt backbone to provide some level of balance. I have to admit, I've had to work through the six. Rated a C+/B-.
"When I drink water, it has to filtered
through a brewery first."
-Grampa Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment