Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Coming Up Empty, from the Rogue's notebook.

Feeling the chill and taking stock of the broken conditions. Holidays break, 11/4/2021.
If I bide my time I'll come up empty
If I get in line I'm on my knees
If you take what's mine I'll still have plenty
So I guess I'm fine with this disease
-Seether, Time to Heal

     Last DST sesh. Evening temps were in the upper 60s, but the water had dropped into the lower 60s. Sharp fifteen knot nor'east wind blowin' off the Atlantic felt so much colder. Already had the feeling my season was closing until 2022. Too much coming up with winterizing the boat, and getting ready for the holidays. Could've skipped the surf. Conditions pretty much sucked. But, I just couldn't help myself. Last chance for "just one more ride," or two to finish the year. Don't usually admit this, but should've worn more than a rubber top. First wave I was able to get to my feet but the wave died. After that, between taking too much time and missing any position on any wave with any kind of power in the small knee-high chop, the clouded November sky darkening, and feelin' the chill to the point of thinking, "what the f#*k am I doing out here?," I called it for the night. No ride. Came up empty. Like the lineup. Like the beach. A quiet end to what I felt inside was a middling year of surf. Next year. Resolved to spend more time in the lineup, and making each time getting wet count. Walking away it was not yet pitch, and I could see a right breaking curl vaporize into a seductive shower of haze. Could hear it..."a hui hou." 'Til we meet again.
     Worth warming up with the next two brews. Peak Organic's Autumn IPA. Very sessionable at 4.8% ABV. Cloudy, dark honey-gold pour with a thin finger, fizzy white head. Light lace. Notes of grapefruit and orange in the smell. Light resin, citrus, and some malt sweetness in the taste. Finish had a nice, juicy, hopped up bite that made this one crushable. Rated a B.
A throwback brew on this post was Running Man Milk Stout. Flesk Brewing outta Barrington, IL. Poured an opaque brownish-black, with a thick, brown finger-plus head. Roasted malts, herbal hops, and cocoa in the aromas. Tasted of dark chocolate with a hint of raspberries. Creamy, smooth finish with a bitterness that gave it a nice balance. Not super impressive, but very good. Rated a B+.
Hoptimist: A person who believes
the world is a better place with beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment