Monday, September 23, 2013

Liquidation, notes from the Rogue

El Sol's receding.  Gotta roll, 9/23

















   Autumn brings shorter days, cooler nights.  As the the year progresses to an end, time seems to run out much faster.  Daylight.  Warm spells. Surf time.  Bike time. Grass cuttin' time (love that mower).  Nothing lasts quite as long.  Well, almost nothing...  I digress.  Got  a late start on this evening.  Was gonna hit the surf.  Even had the board in the car.  Expected swell didn't arrive.  My daughter did.  Met Bo Dannon for a coffee and homework.  Got home about 6:30-ish.  Hit the road for a quick ride.  About 45 minutes or so.  Dusk most of the way.  Dark as I turned back down my road.
  The last few weeks have brought swill for surf.  Sloppy. Closing out.  It seemed I could pinch a couple of rides up front and then "boom."  Nothing.  A veritable liquidation of all swell rideable.  I'm a Kook. I try to make the most outta nothin' but I just get frustrated.  The more I push, the worse it gets.  All assets, gone.  Gotta learn to cut my losses or in this case, toss those bitter pills before I force 'em down.
"On a cloud of sound I drift in the night, any place it goes is right.  Goes
far.  Flies near.  To the stars away from here."          -Steppenwolf
So the ride is eradicated in front of ya.  It's still time in the aqua.
Liquidation.  Holidays, Mid-September
   This week's brew is an ode to the 'tweener season.  The feel of Summer not quite gone, the brunt of Fall not yet here.  Sierra Nevada's Flipside.  A Red IPA with a considerable hop kick (60 IBUs) up front.  I searched high and low for this bee-ahhtch and found it Delaware.  Thinking it was all that, I must admit a bit of disappointment.  Only because this, to me anyways, was more of an English IPA, more earthy/piney bitterness, less grapefruityness.  Minimal sweetness on the malt cusp. However, it walks the walk.  At 6.2% ABV, enough warmth to overcome the cool nights without making you too toasty during the daylight hours.  I rated it a B.
"For the final flash of summer..."
 - SN Brewing

No comments:

Post a Comment