Monday, November 4, 2013

November Detonation, notes from the Rogue

Shore explosion.  Wicomico County, 11/2.















   First days of November, air in the low 70s, water still around 62. Got the blast of autumn colors for the trek to the beach.  Water still comfortable at 62F, though full on rubber is now used.  Waist to occasional chest sets.  Fairly clean.  High tide kept 'em from jacking on me so a enjoyed a few nice carving rides.  One thing about wearing a full suit though, after a couple of hours my arms and shoulders are feelin' like lead. Had a somewhat strong northbound current, so I'd been walking the beach a couple of times during the afternoon.
Autumn detonation. Holiday's, 11/2.

 Then there is this lull from the previous ride to the next.  Get a little more selective 'cause I'm dreading that paddle back out at the end of the ride.  Ya get tanked more easily.  Recovery time becomes less and less.  Begin losing the light as dusk sets in. Wanted that last ride to count.  It did!  Grabbed one of those few steep rights that I was in good position for on the shoulder.  As I dropped in I could hear the peak detonate as the wave folded over on itself.  The sound like a rifle shot combined with the burst of speed generated that rush of adrenaline.  The stoke that keeps me coming back.  Not tonight...I'd been asking for this last ride since the last dry spell began.  Drifted 5 blocks with no more plans on walking.  Don't f**k with the Atlantic when she gives you what you ask for.  End of the session.  Last one to end with a warm body intact; a bit tired, but satisfied. Next walk was back to the truck.












   Evening's beer selection- local Shorebilly Brewing's Intergalactic IPA.  A boardwalk brewery making "sessionable" beers to be able to enjoy without falling out on your way out.  I've had it before and it was very tasteless, but they've obviously been getting better.  47 IBUs, so not as hoppy as my usual IPAs, but at 6.7, be careful, because after the first, it'll start to sneak up on ya.  Pours a golden amber with about a finger and a half head.  Fair carbonation, but good lacing.  Aroma and  taste of grapefruit-banana.  Hmmm.  I rated this session a B.
"Beam me up, y'all!"   -SBC

No comments:

Post a Comment