Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Jukin' da Blues, notes from the Rogue

Midsummer shutdown.  Holiday's 66th St., 7/31/2014

   Been getting out a bit recently. Water in the mid 70's, surf's consistently around thigh to waist plus, fair weather.  And for a few sessions it seemed as if I'd catch everything. Even the occasional backside.  But sometimes on the days I really look forward to, like after a bad day at work (they've been pilin' up lately), I just can't catch $hit.  Turns a frustrating day into a session I find myself wallerin' in. Truly blows.  My cure....like riding a bike, git yo ass back out there and have at it!  In between, take my frustrations out at the gym.  Only way to juke them blues.

Northern sunset on Traverse Bay, 7/1/2014 
    In this post I continue my report out of my summer beercation, specifically the Northern Michigan beer scene.  Traverse City along Traverse Bay has loaded itself up with over a half dozen craft breweries. On our first afternoon in town, my girlfriend and I visited Right Brain Brewery.  Quite an eclectic locale and an impressive lineup of rotating beer taps.  A flight was 6- six ouncers.  Nice start to our Michigan tour.  And with sunset in these parts around 9:30pm... 9:30!, we had a ways to go our first night out.  We soaked 'em up with a turkey and avocado waffle sandwich...right on point.  The brew we ended up bringin' home with us: Dead Kettle IPA, a surf sessionable IPA at 5.4% ABV.  Aroma and taste hits you like a freshly peeled grapefruit without the mess.  Lightly bitter, with a balance of nutty malts up front.  About a finger sized puffy white head with little lacing, but fair carbonation.  I rated the Brewery an A.  Dead Kettle, a B.















"See no evil, Beer no evil."  -RBB


No comments:

Post a Comment