Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Glimmer Man In The Grey Suit, the Rogue's notes

Rt. 90 Bridge...here fishy fishy...
Assawoman sunset.  You go.  No, you go.








   I know it's Shark Week on Discovery (like all week), but I don't recall Ocean City getting this much shark infested publicity in a long while.  On Friday, August 4th, a 1000 pound, thirteen foot long tiger shark named Septima is caught by satellite in the Assawoman Bay right off the Route 90 bridge.  Previously tagged by OCearch with a tracking device, the big female pinged twice as she breached the surface, the first time at approximately 2:30 pm, and the again shortly thereafter.  Seen by no one else.  Local fishing captain Mark Sampson said it best, "for the swimmers, I'm not sure if it's better to know or not know." Two days later she pinged again off of the Indian River Bay.
Septima tagged off Port Royal Sound, SC. May, 2014






















Then this past Monday (8/11), another news report of a July 30th encounter with a 13 to 15 foot Great White just five miles off Ocean City's coast.  Niiice.  And here I am thinkin' all those dorsals are just  dolphins.  When I'm out there in the crowd it doesn't cross my mind.  When I'm out there by myself on a warm sunny day, I don't give 'em much more thought.  But on a chilly early spring/late fall evening and I'm alone with choppy swell and all I can feel or hear is a  'noreast wind whippin' through my ears, I'll catch a glimmer outta my periph.  Was it a fin?  Was it a dolphin?  Ya sit and scan the horizon, looking for confirmation that it wasn't "the Man." So far,no Man.
"Suffice to say, to the people he hunted...he was known as the Glimmer Man.  There'd be nothing..., then a glimmer...  Then you'd be dead!"        -Mr. Smith, The Glimmer Man















   The final "Beercation" installment.  Mackinac Island.  No cars. no golf carts.  Just horses and bicycles.  And a lot of history.  My Girl knows me.  Love history.  And this place is locked in a simpler time.  Modern amenities of electricity and internet with none of the CO pollution.  Ever get a chance, Go! Full of old time Stoke.  Biggest attraction- the Grand Hotel.  We stormed the Cupola for an incredible view and enjoyed  Bell's Brewery's Big Porch Ale, an American Amber cashed in at 38 IBUs and 5.8% ABV.  Poured a nice red-amber hue with a finger and half pearly white head. Some lacing leads to a light grassy taste, malty aroma, and slight hop bitterness in the finish. Easy drinkin' and made for rockin' on the Grand's huge porch overlooking Lake Huron, I rated the brew a B-.
Ankle high boat wake, Mackinac 7/3/2014.












The historic Grand Hotel
View of Mackinac Light from the Grand Cupola loft.

Business District

Mackinac harbor.

Mackinaw Bridge; ferry ride back to the mainland. 7/3/2014

"It's a lot easier to start the day
when you know it will end with
beer."                              -Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment