Thursday, March 24, 2016

Right Coast Gratitude, notes from the Rogue.

"When this world's too much it will be only the ocean and me."   -Jack Johnson, Only The Ocean.
Eye of the needle, 47th Street at it's best. 3/21/2016. T. Layton Pic, courtesy Shannon Blythe.

   Finally have a return date set. Into the second week of April. It's been way too long since my last surf check. Lisa asked me the other day if I was planning on doing any surfing when we went over. Have to admit, the thought has entered my mind. Water's in the mid to upper 40's. Gonna have to do better than that for my first sesh of '16. I can deal with the cold, but prefer to avoid the frigid. You can bet I'll be keeping a watch on the weather and surf reports. Although, at this point I'd be greatful for an in-person surf check. It's been since January. Hell, I'll be grateful just to see and smell the Shore again.
   Beer. Now that, beer I mean, that I prefer frigid. Iced glass. Oh yeah. Two coolers for the season. Not necessarily seasonals, but they accentuate the celebrations of this time of year. Oskar Blues Old Chub, an 8%'er of a Scottish Strong Ale. Cooked up our corned beef in it. Washed down the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots with it. Perfect St. Paddy's Day offering. Poured a deep reddish-brown hue with a thick, dark tan, 2-finger plus head. Thick lacing hung tight to the glass with aromas of molasses and chocolaty malts. The copious malts added the sweet to the taste with a background of coffee. Smooth body with just enough hop bitterness (25 IBUs) to bring yang to the sweet yin. Rated an A.


Peroni Nastro Azzurro, an Italian import. Pale Lager style. Now, as a stand alone? Very "meh." But whilst doing yard work and burning it up in ye 'ol fire pit? Nice. Plus, it was free from our neighbor doing the same. Real nice. This one I had outta the bottle. Soda-like carbonation and pale in color. 5.1% ABV and probably around 10 to 15 IBUs. Weak but the moment- cool down with a burn, made it refreshing. Tasted like a mild Heineken. Rated a C/C-. Still...I did have another.


No comments:

Post a Comment