Friday, March 4, 2016

Something Amiss, notes from the Rogue.

"There must be something I missed. I wake up in the morning just makin' a fist.
 I don't call it living, I just exist."
  -K. Chesney
Malibu beach, 8th street. 2/10/2016

   Out of sorts lately. Like I'm outta alignment. And, the mornings are the worst (not that I've ever been a morning person). Something amiss. DST just around the corner. It has snowed twice over the past week here in Chicagoland. Temps in the 50's last week. Supposedly into the 60's next week. But, I'm not gettin' the fever. Not feelin' it. In need of salt maybe? Saltwater. Salt air. Biggest obstacle to making this happen? No planned return trip in sight. Need to remedy that so I can remedy me. Miss the Bay. Miss the Ocean. Miss the Sho'.

   Two brews to help my ailment. The same. But different. Both produced by a favorite brewery, Ballast Point of San Diego fame. Both IPA's, produced from the same IPA. Like bro brews. Stop. Okay, BP took their famous Sculpin and added habanero to one batch and grapefruit to the other to produce two excellent beers with a distinctly different sting. Habenero Sculpin had the eye popping hop bite and citrus fruit taste combined with the eye watering, mouth burning fire of the habenero peppers.

Grapefruit Sculpin highlighted the grapefruit citrus of the hops and actually helped the malts smooth the finish. Both came in at 70 IBUs and 7% ABV. Both poured a nice orange-amber with a finger and a half light tan head. Both unique in taste with a great bittersweet aftertaste. Both rated an A.

"Don't bother me while I'm fishing,
unless you brought beer."  - E. Dibbles

No comments:

Post a Comment