Thursday, May 19, 2016

Unclouded, the Rogue's notes

Chilly Lake Michigan knee to thighs. April, 2016. North Beach, Chicago.

   By this time last year I had already been in the water a few times. I think about that now as I periodically check the surf report. Hurtin' inside. A little. Yeah, I miss it. It's been a busy year. New job in the Midwest. Home up for sale. Marriage plans under construction. It'd be a false statement to say all was smooth and the future clear. But, there is a plan. One that is bright. Full of adjustments I am sure. One part of the plan that is unclouded: a return to the Ocean. Get wet again. Dreams of a warm beach, light offshores, mild water, and clean swells. Hoping the weather holds, not that it will change next week's plans much. The words of Swayze's Bohdi echo, "Look at it! Let me go out there and let me get one wave, just one wave before you take me in. Come on compadre." Clear, right? It will be.
   This past month has been busy as well. Graduations out the wazoo. Actually, it is my nephew Benjammin's graduation that is one of our primary reasons to return to the Shore. Naval Academy grad dude! Takes him off his wave stick and puts him in the pilot's seat and his hands on the stick of a Raptor, or a Hornet. Ripping up the airwaves of the sky. US Military Charger brah! But I digress. We made a trip into Michigan for my fiance's daughter's last few hard fought softball games and college graduation. 
Power slap. JS#26, Adrian Bulldogs. Adrian, MI April 30, 2016.

Not without a sidetrip. Marshall, Michigan. Dark Horse Brewing Company. Tasty grub. Plenty of good brews that were sampled... a couple to rate as well. Sweet... 
The Horse, Marshall, MI.

Need a mug?







To begin, there was Rain In Blood. A Blood Orange Pale Ale tribute to Slayer. At 11.7 IBU and 5.5% ABV, I would not call it a heavy hitter (I think I would rather drink a heavy beer to heavy metal, but then again if the idea is to drink many to metal, then this would be the ticket...again I digress). Poured a cloudy, orange-amber with a thin white, one finger head. Mild orange aroma. Tasted the slightest hint of the blood orange citrus in lieu of heavy hops. Light bitterness. Mellow, somewhat smooth finish. Rated a B-.

Here's a name...Kamikaze Kaleidoscope, Dark Horse's Spring/Summer Witbier. Poured a hazy deep gold with a puffy one finger white head. Webbed lacing along the inside of the glass. Aromas of orange, pear, coriander, and banana. At 16 IBUs, a subtle hop-bitter aftertaste with a hint of pepper in the finish. At 5% ABV, a candidate for post lawn duties. Rated a B+.
"Two beers or not two beers,
that's the question."

-William Shakesbeer
"Let me go out there and let me get one wave, just one wave..." -Bohdi, Point Break
The lineup calls. 8th Street- Malibus Beach Pic.  May, 2016. OCMD

No comments:

Post a Comment