Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Losing Daylight, from the Rogue's notes.

Relaxed stoke. Holidays on 66th, 11/2/2017.















Pull up, player! An eye on the beach at low tide. 11/2







   Managed a couple weekend sessions on Assateague during the summer months, but never did much of the OC coast except during the week. Didn't keep to my commitment. True offseason now as the next solstice approaches. The earlier sunsets mean I'm losing daylight. End of the weekday surf. Standard Time only allows weekends. Unless I'm off work...which ain't happenin' this season. Last week, did my final weekday of the year. This time I took my Wife's recommendation and reverted back to the rubber top. Always happy to minimize the rubber. Small surf. Semi-clean for the most part. Low tide but comin' in. Light east-southeast onshores. Air was hangin' around 70F. Water still in the upper 60's. Swell seemed to cross. Some rights. Some backside lefts. No real power. But the sets kept me shifting around for position (kept off the chill), and came in three and four at a time with a slight build from knee to thigh. Calm in between. Add a relatively full, bright moon to help judge the sets (as best I could) and I was surfin' well past nightfall. The early 70's band King Harvest had the vision. Supernatural. Considering the fast dropping sun and corresponding time crunch I've felt the last few times I've been out, I would have to agree. Very relaxing, almost supernatural night.
   Porters make very good transitional beers. Perfect for this time of year. Not real thick like the winter ales and stouts can be. Can be heavy enough to ward off any chill.
Case in point...Dewey Beer Company in Dewey Beach, Delaware. We payed a visit a few weeks ago. Joined by my brother and his wife. Did a flight and was impressed by Hobo Soup Porter. Kinda an Imperial at 7.1%. Poured a dark, dark brown. Light tan, 2-finger head. Thin lacing that dissipated quickly. But again, despite ABV level it did not feel heavy. Lofty aromas of toffee and raisin. Notes of coffee and light chocolate on the frontside. But what I really enjoyed was the balance of hops. Never been slaphappy about porters. Don't really think about about hoppy porters either, not that this was too much so. But, great balance. I'd estimate around 40-45 IBUs. Light bitterness on the backside that begged for another sip. Did not take long to finish off the crowler that I brought back. Felt it too. Rated this an A-/B+.




















We get it almost every night
When that moon is big and bright
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight.
-King Harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment