Sunday, August 23, 2020

Surf Competition, the Rogue's session notes

"So my tactic with the conservation of apex predators is
 to get people excited and take them to where they live."
   
-Steve Irwin
Sliding into the surf fishing zone. Backsides with baited lines, Holidays & 66th. 8/20/2020


   Reachin' the apex of my summer surf. After this week, the Wife and I spending quality time with the Granddaughter, and a trip out west for a family visit. Probably be a couple weeks before I am able to get another session in. Waves were not epic, but the rides were full of stoke! Add to that a little competition with a couple groups of surf fishin' tourists, and I had me some excitement here and there. Nuthin' to attract the media, but my buddy later let me know that a few of 'em were a little miffed at my carving back and forth across their fishin' grounds. No biggie though; I did fairly well at staying clear. Had to avoid the sharks. As I mentioned, smooth, stoke filled cruisers. Mostly backsides...matter of fact, pretty much all backsides. Most would die out to the right. Light, on-shore winds. Sectioned, semi-clean, knee to thigh-high swell. A couple jacked as the tide was going out, but if there was anything bigger than thigh-waist, I missed 'em. Caught enough to almost be satisfied. Sun seems to be going down faster...another sign of the Apex. Not sure which I was competing with the most... the sun- for time in the water, or the surf fishers. Time ta' start gettin' wet earlier.
Always gotta try for that frontside...even from the back. 8/20/2020




   A competition of beer. The first was Reserve Special. A Black Ale from Dark Horse Brewing outta  Marshall, MI. Been there. Done that. Back in 2016. Super cool brewery produced a super smooth Black IPA ringing in at 7.5% ABV, and 67 IBUs. Drink a couple, and you'll forget about the sharks. (Get bit? Won't even feel it). Pours a deep brown, almost black, with a light brown finger or so head. Aromas of mocha and piney hops. First sip brings a cascade of coffee, bitter dark chocolate, fire roasted malt all with a citrusy squeeze of grapefruit. The finish is creamy, but dry at the same time. Rated a B+.
"Standing outside, watching the setting sun,
  and drinking a cold beer while reflecting 
on the session that just wrapped makes me
 feel like the world is all mine and I can
 accomplish anything. But that’s probably
 just the beer talking."
-Jason Nauman

Evo Craft Brewing's long standing Primal Pale Ale. Part of their mainline beer offerings. Pours a bright golden orange. About a 2 plus-finger thick, fizzy off-white head. Fast dissipating lace. Grassy, grainy, herbal smell. Included a hoppy pine with a hint of sugar laced lemon. Flavors were biscuity, more grains, some malt, and very little sweetness. Some lemongrass, and 30 IBUs of bitter hops. Kinda like an English pale. I'd say an easy drinkin,' 5% ABV, Pale, but boring. This has been out a while. Never really gave it a chance, but without the big Pale taste and hop, citrus sweetness...bland, not primal. Got a six. Took a while. Rated a C/C+.  






No comments:

Post a Comment