Sunday, August 4, 2013

Flaked Out, notes from the Rogue

Start gate, 8/04














   40th Annual White Marlin Open about to begin.  Stopped by registration day at Harbor Island on 14th and the bay.

Registration line-up


   Picked up T-Shirt for my girl.  Vacation starts end of this week.  Don't believe we'll make the weigh ins or the "off the boat" tuna steak sandwiches.  Oh well, I like the festivities.  Would love to go Marlin/Shark/Tuna fishin' just once.   Many lost opportunities in my past.  Definitely on my "bucket list."






   I preach that you "don't know until you go," but this afternoon's surf report was pretty accurate. Not much better than ankle...maybe a set or two of knee.  No power.  Occasional sectioning. Mostly lefts. Inconsistent, flaked out, break- like a child that can't make up it's mind to walk or just sit down and say "fuck it!" Nights like this I try just to enjoy the fresh salt air, the light summer breeze, the warming sea ('bout 73F). Impatience butts in it's ugly head.  Take the time. Be still.
Peace.  Be Still.
   A not so flat choice tonight was Burley Oak's 'Murica (slang cut for America), an American Brown Ale set  at 6.0 ABV and hopped out at 50IBUs.  I did a growler of this brew over the weekend.  Pours a cloudy medium brown.  Finger and a half head.  Fair, fast dissipating lacing.  Very nice carbonation.  I've mentioned before, I'm not much of a brown ale fan, but this was a smooth drinking beer with a smell of toffee and oats, and a lightly sweet taste of coffee... with the bitterness of the hops it was like drinking Starbucks with a zing. Only if it was a Starbucks I'd have definitely added more sugar. Still...good stuff for a Brown.  I rated this a B.
"'Murica may have some problems,
but it's our Home, Our Team.  And if
you don't want to root for your team,
then you should get the hell outta the
stadium!"              - Stan, South Park

No comments:

Post a Comment