Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Measure of Success, notes from the Rogue

Rain in the morning led to a less humid 82F afternoon.  Castles, 7/29
















Thigh to waist courtesy Tropical Storm Dorian.  
    When I used to go skiing with my buddies in the Poconos we would measure our success down any one of the Black or Double Black Diamond slopes by the number of times you ate it on the way down.  Obviously, the least number of times was the most successful.  Early on I'd measure my success surfing by the number of rides. Now I'm so focused on getting form I've had no measure of success for myself.  But I have noticed as the session progresses and my shoulders begin to burn, if I don't break, I begin to chug sea water more often than not.  On evening surfs like tonight, I got me a full two plus hours.  It was too gorgeous of a swell to let go.  Water in the low 70s.  Low tide.  Thigh sets with a few waists. Nice conditions.  The issue becomes, as the light blue of the afternoon burns into the deep amber-orange and dark blue hues of the evening, a sense of urgency to get those last rides in begins to roast my innards like a flash drive microwave.  And once that frustration sets in it's all I can do to finish rightly.  Excuses fly.  Focus needs to be on that measure.  Memorable rides (the last of the show should be one of them).  How many thru the session?  And the success is achieved through patience.  Famous last words.  Now to put them into effect.  Patience is not my strong point.  We'll see.
   Finished off the sesh with an X-treme IPA. Lagunitas Maximus.  An Imperial IPA that pours a deep translucent amber with a thick, two finger, dark tan head.  This one is not for the chugger.  One or two will do at 8.2% ABV and a whopping 72 IBUs.  "So hoppy it threatens to remove the enamel from one's teeth." Strong grapefruit citrus and woodsy pine in the smell.  Dry up front with a fresh bitter hops taste that is balanced by a brown-sugar like sweetness on the back.  Not a refreshing beer, but a strong satisfying beer to be sure.  I rated this one an A-.
"We do dig the occasional Flip n' Whip,
a solid McMetz, or a Nack grab... but

balance is still the most important skill.
Ask anyone.  Ride a pint.  Taste the

hops.  Slurp the malt.  Drink the juice-

Live to ride another day... Cheers!"

-Lagunitas Maximus

No comments:

Post a Comment