Sunday, July 14, 2013

Clearing The Fog, notes from the Rogue

Thursday thigh, 7/11.

   Been feelin' uninspired when it has come to surfing as of late.  Don't know if it's frustration, impatience, or just not going enough.  Thursday afternoon and this morning did not present the best of conditions; high tide, cooler than average water temps for July.  But they have been mostly frontsides.  Semi-clean.  Light winds out of the SW. This morning appeared to be the best so far.  Warm morning (hi 70's by the time I reached the beach), waist high sets called out.  It was clear as I crossed the Rt. 90 bridge.  Turning onto 38th, Castles is my AM go-to.  Crossing the dune line however, I am greeted by a somewhat dense fog over the break. Mmm, mmm, MMMMMM! Unbelievable.
Hello (hello...hello), is there anybody out there?

Burn it off baby!  Really!  7/14

 









   Ideal just don't seem to be on the menu this year.  Like a belt that needs adjustment, my timing is just off. Suck it up.  I cracked the surface and paddled out.  The lineup filled out.  The salt air and water filled my head, clearing my attitude as the morning sun burns off the fog...definitely a help to be able to view the beach and oncoming swell.  The first ride, a smooth drop down a shallow, stomach high right comber set the tone. I'm not a morning person, so mornings are rare.  Unless I'm meeting a friend to surf with.  Or, unless like this morning, I'm able to stick to my commitment and get my ass outta bed and on the road.  Glad I did. Need to turn that corner.
Corner of 38th and the Atlantic - nice point.

 
















   Speaking of smooth, a couple of delicious brews on tap for this review.  I begin with Devils Backbone Brewing Company's Striped Bass Pale Ale. At 5.2% ABV and 26 IBUs this one is a nice summer Pale. Pours a deep gold with a one finger white head and fair lacing.  Floral smell with a slight grassy taste. Balanced with a light hop bitterness that gives it a crisp finish. I rated it a B+.




















   A summer staple should definitely be Hoegaarden's White Ale. A classic witbier imported from Belgium. Pours a cloudy light yellow with scents of coriander and orange.  Two finger, puffy head- and leaves plentiful detailed lacing as it goes down.  A little sweet, but light. Airy.  Refreshing.  Approximately 15 IBUs.  At 4.9% ABV, it wouldn't hurt to throw back a few of these over a beach bonfire.  Holds up very well in this craft brew era. Rated an A-.
"You look like I need another
beer."             -Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment