Monday, October 31, 2016

Haunted, notes from the Rogue

O.C.Toberfest, North Division St. OCMD. 10/22/2016  -Dispatch pic
   I can't help but be haunted by my last surf session. Frighteningly sub par. Just not gettin' wet enough. One more trip to the Sho'. And while I hold on to the slightest chance of pulling my stick out of storage and squeezin' the juice one last time before the cold really sets in, Thanksgiving festivities and a holiday campaign in the form of my wedding may chow down most of the time available. An off-season journey full of hurdles. Home still for sale. Bites have been at a minimum. Knot to be tied. Taxing, albiet runnin' to plan so far. Holidays gonna be hittin'. Chaos. Lot up in the air. But I feel in my heart of hearts, the pieces will fall in place. Belief in what you can't see. Faith. All about Faith.
North Coast smashmouth. Post Matthew, Fenwick Island, DE 10/18/2016.    -FSS pic












   So whadda I got? Beer. Four of 'em. Drank more than that on this fine Halloween evening. Lead off is New Belgian Brewing's Pumpkick. Tart. Brewed with cranberries. Poured a hazy red-orange with a finger and a half, off-white head. Fair lacing that dissipated quickly. Aroma whas light berry with cinnamon and nutmeg. Tasted the pumpkin and spices. Bready. Malty. A little tart. Not really a sour. Bitter and sweet. Couldn't tell if it was hops or the cranberries or a combo. But this was different in a good way. 6% ABV. 18 IBUs. I'd do it again. Rated a B.

  Goose Island. I fight to keep from calling 'em sell-outs to InBev. I tell myself "it's all about the distribution." Tough sell. Oktoberfest Marzen. 6.4% ABV. Brown amber pour with a light, finger head. Toasted malt smell with a slightly sweet, nutty, toffee taste. Light fruit background. Very bitter finish. More than usual for a 17 IBU brew. More than wanted in a Marzen. Rated a B-/C+.


   Double IPAs. Hard to lay off. Stone Brewing doesn't help. Ruination DIPA is a big beer. No surprise that it's brewed in surf mecca San Diego. Poured a deep golden orange. Tons of mango and citrus in the aroma. Flavors of resin and pine and a faceplant's worth of grapefruity, orange-citrus, hop bitterness. Bold. A gnarly 100+ IBUs. But, at 8.5% ABV a bomber of this gargoyle-faced brew will clothesline ya right off the back side of your board. Rated an A. Get me another! Tomorrow.

  Lastly, a brew I had rated way back when. Since I've already done three this post, I had to add this one that I downed last month on the Shore. It was excellent the first time I reviewed it. Still excellent now. And available in 6 pack bottles vs. the growler/tap when it first appeared. Evolution Craft's Jacques Au Lantern Pumpkin Ale. Hazy amber with a finger and a half beige head. Good lacing. Nice blend of pumpkin and pie spices. Complimentary bitterness at 20 IBUs. Very smooth drinking. One of the best pumpkin beers of the season. I look forward to it every year. 6.3% ABV. Be mindful Padawan. Rated an A+ again and again. 


Upset? Out of beer?! "That's nothing compared to the fury of a 
woman who has been cheated out of tricks-or-treats."   -LVP

No comments:

Post a Comment