Sunday, May 31, 2015

Quicksand, the Rogue's Notes.

"You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. 
And another. And you try to fight back, but the harder you fight the deeper you sink. Until you can't move...
you can't breathe...because you're in over your head. Like quicksand."    -Shane Falco
That sinking feeling. 47th Street, 5/20/2015.


   Two weeks ago, somewhat decent conditions arrived at the shore. Waist high. Clean. Through the week the beach had been feelin' a mini heat spell and the water had been creeping into the mid-60's, but by the time my opportunity came, the warmth was gone, air temps into the 60's and the water had dipped to 58F. I wanna strip this rubber off. I really do. I was still looking forward to some clean surf. About half a dozen or so others in the lineup so things appeared on the up 'n up. Lefties. Not a lefty. But, I could use the work. I struggled. Couldn't get in position. Misjudged the break. Missed one, then another. Became impatient. I was either too far out and missed the opportunity, or too much inside and takin' off late. Nice evening became one of frustration. Last week the sloppy swell returned and I continued to flounder. And they were frontsides! Short rides here and there, Waves sectioning. Closing out early. Lookin' very kook-like (more so than usual). Irritation. More frustration. F*#ked myself again. Like Shane Falco in The Replacements. I need to let go. The ocean was churning and I could smell the salt in the air. I love that smell. Yet, I did not appreciate. Any time getting wet is good time. I cannot let the fear of missing a ride screw my next. Calm. Patience. I've said it's not a strong suit. I vow to do better this week.
Stuck in the muck.  66th/Holidays, 5/28/2015.

   Couple more warm weather brews on the table that have gone down purty smoothly as of recent. Breckenridge Brewery's Summer Bright Ale, A Pale Wheat that lends it self to multiple doses at 4.5% ABV. Pours a hazy gold with a finger-thin white head. Aromas of lemon and maltiness. Light citrus hop tones in the taste(15 IBUs). Refreshing dry finish. Not super, but solid. Rated a B. 

I was out to dinner with a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago and tried a Yuengling Summer Wheat. This one surprised. Poured a very hazy yellow-gold with a finger head and light lacing. Very smooth Hefeweizen with hints of banana and clove in the smell. Taste was slightly sweet with more banana. At 4.5% ABV, not weak as I would have suspected from a more commercial brewery. No Hoegaarden, but a worthy summer brew. Clean, crisp finish at 14 IBUs. Went out and bought a six afterwards! B/B+ rating.
"I like it in a mug, in a bottle, in a cup,
I like it with a shot...mmm! It hits the 
spot...Beer."                -Lee Brice

No comments:

Post a Comment