Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good Afternoon Irene, notes from the Rogue

Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene
I'll see you in my dreams.   -Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter

Fall of an OC icon - the Inlet foghorn light



 



















 



   WOW!  I'm not quite sure what to think about this hurricane.  The reporting seemed to leave many in a state of fear.  Phrases like "killer hurricane" and "storm of the century" had 'em running that's for sure. Not that I disagree with emergency readiness as I am a definite believer in the phrase "success favors the prepared mind"... most of the time anyway.  The evacuation of shoreline towns up and down the coast, Ocean City, MD included; very prudent decisions.  But, either we had a near miss, we got lucky and God was watchin', or somebody was full of $hit! Hmmmm- A&B, or all of the above?  Hmmmmmmmmm...

Dead tree falling

   Regardless, the most I had in the 'Bury was a dead tree fallen.  Bonfire!  Taking the opportunity in front of me, my camera, and my 7'4" Shell, I headed down to the coast.
Chauncey's Surf Shop - 31st St.


In town, one week short of Labor Day- you couldn't help but feel like the 2nd Season was upon us.  Scant traffic and boarded up resort businesses as a result of the storm's evac.

Inlet clean-up

Pier damage

Bare jetty
  In the lineup, well apparently that's where I found everyone.  Waverley Castle (36th St.).  Crowded for real.    I didn't know if the lineup was bad with the northbound escalator-like current, or the shoreline as a surf crowd of all ages, races and sizes of men, women, children hiked their way back south in a big 10 block circuit.  Off shore winds at 15+, low tide; did I mention strong northerly current?  Waves epic (if ya caught THAT ride), clean, fast; in short Bad Ass!






A charged session, and enough juice to go around.  Rides that got my adrenalin flowin'.  This is what this season provides.  This is what you watch the reports for.  As a surfer this is what it's all about.  Hurricane Season on the Right Coast.  Goodnight Irene.

No comments:

Post a Comment